Sunday 7 January 2007

Taking photos in a cemetery

Some people reckon I'm nuts to accept a friend's suggestion to go to a cemetery to photowalk (walking about and taking photos). Actually, the idea came about when Thomas Hawk recently released a series of photos he took at Mountain View Cemetery. We were inspired by his latest work so we have decided to try this ourselves.

After attempting to ask one or 2 other friends to join, and failing so, I started wonder what was so "scary" or "taboo" about going to a cemetery. I had a chance to have a brief chat with one of the friends we invited to join us. I come to the conclusion that Cemetery represents a reminder about death, about the spiritual realm and to some, it could mean about being afraid to see 'unclean' spirits. I can understand why.

Upon reflecting about all these feelings and thoughts, I am quite amazed that I have no longer fear or phobia of going to a Cemetery (in the daytime), well, I have never thought of going to such places at night anyway and won't want to put myself to such a test. I guess a lot of these fears and phobias came about from watching too many TV shows or from hearsays. However, I also believe that there might be some truth in certain hearsays.

I have been a born again Christian for quite a number of years now, and I truly believe that the Lord and His Holy Spirit will always be with us. I have no fear of the evil spirits as long as I dwell in the Lord's presence. Furthermore, having understood about life through the Bible, I do not hold the view about "lost" human spirits. I believe that to be absence from the body is to be with the Lord for all the believers.

The photowalking session was interesting. We started our session at the Perth War Cemetery which is adjacent to the Garden of Remembrance (for the war dead). Here are some of the photos I took there:

Perth War Cemetery:
Remember the many SacrificesRemember the many Sacrifices Hosted on Zooomr


Garden of Remembrance:
Their Name Liveth For Evermore

Remembering Lt. KeoghRemembering Lt. Keogh Hosted on Zooomr


It was a very sobering and reflecting moment for me. Looking at the inscription on the tombstones and the plaques of the fallen soldiers, it reminded me of the ultimate sacrifices that they have made for the country, for the countrymen and for freedom. Generations of Australian are indebted to their brave deeds.

After spending quite a while there, my friend and I proceeded to the Karrakatta Cemetery, which was adjoining to the War Cemetery. We walked about and took some photos of interesting things we see, from flowers at the tombstones, to statues and carvings.

Here are some of the photos I took there:
Guardian angelGuardian angel Hosted on Zooomr


Lady of Mercy

I would say it was quite an experience to photowalk in a cemetery. My friend and I talked about anything under the sun other than Photography and especially his new Canon 50mm f1.2 macro lens. We talked about life, and about death and even where we think if we wanted to be buried or cremated... funny isn't it.

To end this post, I would like to challenge all the readers. I know where I am going when I die. I am just a traveller on this earth. To be absence from my body is to be with my Lord. Do you know where you will go when you die?

No comments: