Friday 22 April 2011

The sorry state of Hyde Park

Before I get 1000 responses saying I am talking rubbish here, I am referring to the Hyde Park in Perth, or more accurately, situated in Leederville, in the city of Vincent. So for all the readers out there, the one I am referring to is not the one in London, Chicago or Sydney. It is right here in my own hometown here in Perth.

After having not been to Hyde Park since end of last year for a wedding shoot, I went there to check it out for a wedding I am shooting tomorrow. Back in my mind, I thought Hyde Park in this current autumn days would yield great imageries. I would get nice soft light peeling through layers of leaves from the maple trees. The golden light in the late afternoon would create a really romantic backdrops for the bridal couple. Ah, heaven!

Much to my surprise and great disappointment, when I surveyed the ground yesterday, the park (or should I say the lake) was in such a state of dismay. Ok, Hyde Park is now off the list of locations I would advice my couples to do their formal portraits until we get lots of rain in Perth, hopefully lots and lots of rain in the winter.


The dry out lake in Hyde Park

Reflection


Little to no water in the lake

Little to no water in the lake

Hyde Park Birdlife sign


One does wonder why will happen to the water birds that the lakes in the park typically support. There were still patches of water in the once totally filled up lake. The waterbirds (ducks, Ibis, geese, etc) were making do with whatever the little patches of water left. It was indeed a very sorry sight....

No comments: