Thursday 14 March 2019

How to achieve more in life - its time to get SMART!

​We are struggle for time in our busy lives. We are either busy to finish our tasks at work, or we are busy with our family chores. For some, it may be a case of finding enough time to spend time with their love ones, or even finding time to work on their life goals or aspirations. 
I constantly find it tough to get all the things I want to do completed. There are "projects" that I have started at home but never finished. I would love to reorganise in my closet or my kitchen pantry but never quite find the time to do it. Then, there is also my career aspiration, my personal bucket lists to tick off, and most importantly, relationship building with the Lord, yes, I am a bible beliving, Christ fellowing Christian.
Time and time again, I will reflect on my life, where I am, how I am currently going, and what am I going to do about stuff that are yet unaccomplished and undone.
I often share something with folks around me, or to those poor souls who happen to unwittedly seek advice from me, we need to be SMART about things!
SMART, or rather the, the acronym  - S.M.A.R.T  - really stands for:
   Specific
   Measurable
   Achieveable
   Result Focus (can also be Relevant)
   Time-bound
It is all about asking ourselves these questions:
1. Specific - What am I trying to accomplish? What's my goal, How and why will it be accomplished?
2. Measurable -  How will I measure whether I have reached my goal? What are the key indicators?
3. Achievable -  Is it possible, is it realistic, has it been done before by others? Am I just a dreamer?  Am I ready or capable to do it? Do I have the necessary knowledge, skills, abilities and resources to accomplish the goal? Will meeting the goal challenge me without defeating me?
4. Result Focused - What is the reason, purpose or benefit of accomplishing the goal? Is it personal development or ego? What will reaching the goal brings me and what sacrifices do I have to make?
5. Time bound (Time-boxing) -  What is the established completion date? Are there any urgency to complete it, how long do I have to complete it?

Sounds like a business oriented management speak? Perhaps. But perhaps this is a technique that successful people have picked up, that I can learn to utilise in my daily life. Perhaps if I have the discipline to follow this SMART way of doing things. I could achieve much more outcome that I have always wanted or dreamt of doing.

No comments: